Thursday, September 6, 2012

All the Right Notes: Brave

...or, an alternative title: Why Brave is not a bad movie (and worth seeing in theaters).

OK, Anna, what's your deal?  Brave's been out for awhile now.  It won't be in theaters much longer.  You had the chance to write a review back in the summer.  Why, suddenly, are you taking the time to write about it?

Well, dear reader, it is because I find myself in an odd predicament.

When I first saw Brave awhile ago, I was, admittedly, disappointed.  I stated as such in a few-sentence-Facebook-status.  And quite honestly, I felt I did not have much more to elaborate on after writing that, so I didn't bother with an "All the Right Notes" review.  I did note the merits I thought the movie had, however, and I ended up happily seeing it a second time (in 3D), and actually enjoyed it more than the first time.

So, while I had (have) problems with the movie, it settled in my mind favorably, and even now I can look up and see my lovely Brave poster hanging in my dorm.

All of a sudden, however, even now when Brave has been in theaters for a month and a half, I seem to be stumbling upon some of my friends and acquaintances making the same sweep statement: "Brave is a bad movie."  And, just as inexplicably, suddenly I'm finding myself defending the very movie that I had previously spoken somewhat ill of.

This is an odd situation, and thus, I have decided that it is best for me to sit down and write my final thoughts on the matter.  Because after seeing this dismissive statement, I have been forced to really decide what I think about Brave, and, just as the title says, my opinion is thus: Brave is NOT a "bad movie," and it IS worth seeing in theaters.

Why have I finally come to this conclusion?  Read on after the break to find out!

FYI, this is the poster image hanging in my room.  It's sweeeeet.


Before delving specifically into Brave, I'm first going to consider (very briefly) what makes a movie "good" and "bad."  A "good" movie manages to entertain its viewer through any number of means.  Generally, "good" movies contain compelling stories that are told well, interesting characters and character growth, beautiful camerawork/rendering, a pleasing soundtrack, believable acting... any number of these factors along with plenty of others in a list too long to complete.  "Bad" movies, then, are at their simplest movies which fail in several (or many, or all) of these aspects (and such failure can occur in numerous fashions).

With these thoughts in mind, let's move on to the problems I do have with Brave.  In short, all my disappointment in Brave comes from, not the story itself, but the way the story is told.  To quote what I wrote on Facebook: "My problems with the movie can really be summed up by this: It didn't take itself seriously enough. Stories like Ratatouille, UP, and The Incredibles are great movies because they tell their story, which then naturally generate charm and comedy, both clever and slap-stick. Somewhere along the way, Brave turned it the other way around, and the story suffered because of it."


I believe that Brave did not trust its story enough.  It did not trust the strong mother-daughter bond; it did not  trust the seemingly straightforward and simple tale to maintain itself; it did not trust its audience.  It resorted to out-of-place comedic bits that muddled the tone and did nothing to enhance the story.  An example that I found particularly irksome was the witch and her modern-day wit and characterization, which feels incredibly cheap and unnecessary in a movie like Brave.

Well, that was kind of long.  So that means it's not a good movie, right?

Short answer: No, it's not.

Long answer: A movie can be worthwhile even if one of its areas is lacking.

All right, let's address the things that Brave does.  And not only does, but excels at.  And to make it even better, let's do it in list form!  Yayy!

1. The characters
Pretty much impossible to not love this family by the end.

The character development in Brave is simply superb.  Each character memorable, beautifully designed, and they play off each other well.  Instead of merely standing alone, each member of Merida's family work together in order to build their characters and present to the audience a loving, well-rounded family that has both its dysfunctions and its devotion.  Throughout the film, these characters continue to develop together, surprising themselves and each other.

The most obvious of this development can be seen between Merida and her mother, Elinor, but it can also be observed in how Elinor and Fergus interact.  The reason I love Elinor and Fergus is because of the believability of this couple.  Elinor's patience with Fergus's wilder tendencies; Fergus becoming enraged when he believes his beloved Elinor has been slain by the bear; their little back-and-forths throughout the movie.  This couple trusts, loves, and respects one another, a relationship that is shown throughout the film and is incredibly heartwarming.

Similar instances of characters not only interacting but truly living together can be seen with Merida and Fergus, Merida and her brothers, and Fergus and the other clan leaders.  Because the myriad of characters in Brave can so beautifully coexist and interact together, they are memorable and touching, and certainly a high point of this movie.

2. The story itself
Merida and her mother, Elinor; their relationship is, quite simply, beautiful.

Wait, wait, Anna.  I thought you just said the storytelling was weak.  Now you're saying it's good?


Not quite.  Because, dear reader, there is a difference between the story itself and how that story is told.  Although I have problems with the telling of the story, the story behind Brave is still compelling, whimsical, heartwarming, and beautiful, and the message it carries has real truth behind it.  As Merida states (with encouragement from her mother), we should be "free to write our own story, follow our hearts, and find love in our own time."

Brave's story is, at its heart, simple and uncomplicated, but it doesn't need to be anything else.  It is a heartwarming story of a mother and daughter growing to understand and learn from each other, mending not only the bond between them but the kingdoms as well.  And although the movie fluffs the delivery a bit, there are still plenty of moving moments within Brave that ring true, and these moments should be commended.

3. The soundtrack/score

This is going to be a short and straightforward point, but it still bears mentioning.  My main problem with people who call a movie "bad" is that they just make it a blanket statement for the entire movie.  Folks, I'm going to be frank here as I repeat myself on a point I've mentioned before: There are many, MANY aspects to a movie.  And one that is often overlooked is the score.  The background music is lovely, Julie Fowlis's singing is wonderful (not to mention that her "Touch the Sky" in the beginning is one of the highlights of the entire film, as it is chillingly beautiful), and the little touches such as "Song of Mor'du" and "Noble Maiden Fair" are just perfect.

4. The animation (aka the artwork)
Is this one self-explanatory?  Too bad, I'll go on anyway.

Quick writing hint: Put your biggest punch/best point last.

Brave is nothing short of a masterpiece in animation.

It took three years for Pixar to develop the software to animate Merida's star-stealing hair alone.

And that's not even touching the breathtaking scenery and the rest of the colorful cast, not to mention the animation of the acting itself.  As an artist myself, not one scene in Brave didn't have me picking my jaw up from the floor.

 I feel like this doesn't need an explanation.

Look gang, there's really no other way to say this: With all the very obvious time and dedication put into Brave, there is simply no justifiable way to say it is a bad movie, or not worth seeing in theaters.  Though it has its problems, Brave proves that it also has much magnificence.  Its characters, story, score, and art are all powerful reasons to see it in theaters, because quite honestly, this is a movie you want to experience in a theater.  Only on the big screen can you truly become immersed in the beautiful world of Brave.

Also, let's support our animation companies that reliably give us excellent stories and worlds to sink our teeth and minds into, yes?

So go.  See Brave in theaters while you can.  And perhaps consider focusing on the aspects of film that you might take for granted.  If you do so, you will understand why, despite its problems, Brave is still a beautiful (and yes, a good) movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment